Saturday, September 10, 2011

Game Day Musings from an Old Cheerleader (GSU vs ODU)

The following is a repost from the Game Day Thread in Panther Talk's Football Forum. I didn't want it to be buried, because I think some Panther Fans may need a little "cheerleading" from an old college cheerleader!

GAME DAY MUSINGS FROM AN OLD CHEERLEADER (GSU vs ODU)

I feel a "soap box moment" coming on!

I feel everyone's pain, but I'm optimistic, and excited, for a lot of reasons!

WE HAVE FOOTBALL AT GSU!

My son, Blake #18 is on the team, enjoying that time Bill Curry talks about "in the Huddle" where Blake, and the other players, are learning the athletically inspired meanings of teamwork, commitment, and true friendship.

I, and a lot of others, had a REALLY good Game Day experience today! The excitement in the Dome was contagious. (OK, only when "something big" was happening. But, still...it's a start!)

The football department/alumni are doing an outstanding job coming up with promotions and giveaways, and providing activities, food, and places to gather. Those who take advantage of the tailgating and activities have fun! Even with the swings and ferris wheel, there were plenty of unused spaces in the Orange Lot. I, personally, am thrilled that Greyhound, The Varsity, J. Christopher, and all the other sponsors, are willing to provide FREE food and fun activities for Panther Fans. They certainly could have spent those promotional dollars in other ways. So, THANK YOU to all who are trying to provide an exciting Game Day experience for GSU fans.

In the bathroom after the game, I talked to two students who were lamenting how "early" the game was after a late night out. They said most of their friends had just slept in. I remember those sleep deprived student years. It made me think that maybe later start times would help student attendance. Just saying....I hope we're considering that...

I agree with the "glass is half full" philosophy: Today was just ONE loss; not the end of the program! To respond to some other comments in the Panther Talk Football Game Day thread about the football program: I KNOW Georgia State has a "real" football team, and is on the way toward cementing a solid football tradition, because I'm seeing and hearing from some really rabidly loyal Panther fans! If we did not have a bona fide, up-and-coming football program in the works, we would not be inspiring "Real" Fans!

I attended Grad School at GSU, but dare I admit here that my undergrad degree is from the University of Florida? Trust me, I speak from experience: I know authentic fans when I see them! I've seen plenty of vocal Division I--nice and not so nice--fans. SEC fans are notorious for their fervor!

I know "die-hard" Florida fans who bleed orange and blue and love their Gators win or lose. I also know "fair weather Florida fans" who are happy when the Gators are winning, and whining and complaining when they're not. EVERY team, even former National Championship teams have bad games--even multiple bad seasons!

GSU had a winning first season, and we have only played two games in our second season! Florida's First 17 years yielded: 85 W, 37L, and 9 ties. For Georgia's first 17 years, they won less than half their games! GA is just around 50% "lifetime" wins with most of their major rivals! Rivalry Record Link.

If we continue to cultivate our alumni, the students, and the community at large, OVER TIME, we will achieve the level of play, loyalty and attendance numbers we are working toward. AGAIN, THIS IS SEASON TWO, and we ARE competing with long traditions of loyalty to Tech, Georgia, Auburn, etc.. We are also competing with other sporting events (including children's leagues), and any number of community events and festivals.

Let's try to look at all the "good stuff" and give our Panthers the enthusiastic fan support that will encourage them to rise to our expectations! With all the hours and effort our team, coaches and support staff are putting in, they DESERVE our support! There is nothing like cheering fans to inspire athletes! I hope we'll have a good showing of support at Jacksonville State!


OUR PANTHER FOOTBALL TEAM is counting on US just as much as we are counting on them! Go Panthers! 

(Stepping down from my soapbox! Next?)

P.S. My regular Game Day Blog Entry will be forthcoming later this evening, along with a link to a gallery of 150+ photos from today's Game Day Experience.

Please consider voting for GSU Panther Mama to have my photo on a Times Square Billboard. Click on this link, then click on the "Share" or "Vote" button in the upper right of the page, then click on the "Vote" button. Thank you! 

Please click the photo in the top left column of my blog, OR this link to follow GSU Panther Mama on facebook!

3 comments:

  1. I needed to hear that!! Love you Jamie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I think many of our fans are not dealing with increased expectations. They just want to see our young team (69 out of our 108 players are Freshman or Sophomores) succeed in every game.

    I also think some have an issue breaking down expectations vs. goals. The goal is to win every game. Expectations have to be tempered.

    I thank you for your responses and as someone who has been around this program since its creation in 2002, I appreciate your candor.

    Our program has played 13 NCAA sanctioned games. We are 7-6. I call that success and the future is bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Ben--the goal is to win every game. And wanting to see improvement from our players during this game was a goal AND a reasonable expectation.

    Keep up your good work @ PantherTalk!! Always good to hear your perspective.

    ReplyDelete